December 16, 2019
Luckily, the Raleigh area hasn’t been hit hard with winter weather so far this season. However, just like with owning a home, there are a few things that tenants and commercial building owners should keep in mind to prepare for the potential extreme conditions, and to keep both people and property safe this winter.
Before winter weather becomes too severe, make sure all handrails and stairwells are safe to use. Locate all non-slip mats and caution signs around your building to use in case of slippery conditions, as well as any salt or sand to use in the parking areas and walkways. For tenants, make sure you have the contact information for your building’s property manager, and understand your Landlord’s process for snow prep and clean up so that you know when the building may be back up and running.
In the case of a pipe burst due to cold temperatures, keep in mind the following when dealing with water damage issues in a commercial building:
- Identify the source of the leak and, if necessary, shut off the water.
- Call your landlord and insurance representative.
- Determine the safety of the area before continuing to assess and mitigate the damage.
- Be careful around any electrical items that may have gotten wet–when in doubt stay AWAY!
- Raise items off the floor or, when possible, remove them from the affected area.
- Be careful around any areas that we exposed to standing water, especially flooring and stairs.
- Notify your insurance agent or Risk Manager to determine your policy and next steps.
Stay safe out there this winter!
Source: ServPro North Raleigh, Wake Forest & North Durham